If you think females are in danger only when they are dressed inappropriately and walks around or goes out at an inappropriate time, you are wrong.
It’s been a year to #metoo now which started from the Hollywood and today we have #metoo India.
The story so far
In the past few days, a number of women spoke about sexual assaults they faced in workplaces. Most of the names have come from Bollywood and politics. Started with Actress Tanushree Datta, who, in an interview, alleged Nana Patekar of sexual harassment during a film shooting 10 years ago, it gave courage to other women as well to come forward and share their stories. From Alok Nath to Kailash Kher and MJ Akbar, a number of prominent faces are accused of assaulting or harassment.
#metoo is gaining support from a majority of people, be it celebrities or politicians. Textile Minister Smriti Irani also extended the support by saying that women go to work not to be harassed but to live their dreams. There have been mixed reaction. Media is widely covering it too:
What does the Act say?
The sexual harassment of women at workplace (prevention, prohibition, and Redressal) Act, 2013 is a legislative act in India that seeks to protect women from sexual harassment at their place of work. It was passed by the Lok Sabha on 3 September 2012.
The punishment under this is the imprisonment of three to five years with a fine.
But, give this a thought:
We should be aware of the fact that we are only hearing the sexual assault stories from the elite class, educated women who are on social media or know that they’ll get major support. India has a large fraction of women who do use social media. Those women must have some experiences too? What about their stories? We need to find a way to acknowledge them as well. #me too campaign can become successful when each and every woman’s story is heard.
Also, What’s next? A movement like this should not just die on social media. We need to verify how many of these allegations are right and then need a step towards justice.
- Ambitious, diligent, rational and extrovert. I am addicted to reading and writing is my favourite pass-time. Also, I savour music, drawing and cooking.
- Science and Technology2018.11.26What is China’s plan to create artificial moon?
- India2018.10.12An year after #metoo Hollywood, here we are with #metoo India
- Trending2018.08.29From a commoner to a celeb: Here are the instance when Mira proved that she’s not less than anybody
- Fashion and Lifestyle2018.07.24Monsoon Holidaying: 3 Best Places To Go This Monsoon